Becoming A Mom

It was December of 2011, my husband and I had been trying to get pregnant for about 4 months and one morning in early December I realized I was late. I took one pregnancy test and there it was I was going to have a baby! I decided not to call my husband right away but instead figure out a cute way to tell him so before work I ran to the store and picked out a couple bibs. While at work I was so anxious and couldn't wait to get home but unfortunately plans changed and I would have to tell my husband over the phone. He had gotten a call an old friend passed away and he would have to head down the shore after work to go to the wake so while I was sitting at my computer listening to this I realized I couldn't wait that long and had to tell him (but of course without my coworkers over hearing). I said well Jeff I really wanted you to come home there is something I need to tell you and since he knew we were trying he said your not are you (he was trying to be sly at work to) and I said YES I am. We both just started laughing, it was one of those moments in life you wish happened differently but was just perfect in itself and something we both will never forget. After that we went on to tell our families and friends and my body began the crazy journey of being pregnant. Nausea, vomiting, cravings (specifically oranges and Dairy Queen the end of my pregnancy I was good friends with the manager) false labor and of course the weight gain...I gained 55 lbs and was beyond swollen. Through all the body changes and preparations for my little boy it was the most exciting and never wracking experience. What is it going to be like? Will he sleep? Will I be able to breastfeed? Whats labor like? Will I end up with a c-section? It was the unknown but most of all what kind of mother would I be?

In the wee hours of August 12, 2010 I jumped out of my bed from a deep sleep and splash my water broke! After I jumped up my husband jumped out of bed and then the dog jumped out of his bed, from my view I felt like I was in a movie. My husband then ran out of the room to call my mother to tell her it started (we were the first on both sides of the family to have a baby). I on the other hand was dripping, first thing I found out, once your water breaks its like a leaky faucet it does not stop so I preceded to tell my husband to get me a towel and give me the phone so I could call the doctor, he was so excited and nervous it was the perfect reaction. As we drove to the hospital (I was sitting on a towel) we preceded to call and text our parents, siblings and friends at 4am to tell them it was happening. We pulled up to the hospital and for the next 8 hours I was in labor. I am not very good with pain so I did decided to have an epidural which I was happy with until I was 8 cm and my drip had gotten unplugged and the battery died so instead of watching the Price is Right I was curled in the corner of my bed with extreme contractions. My mom came to see how I was doing and all I could say is IT'S NOT WORKING!!! The nurse preceded to come in with the anesthesiologist and they gave me a booster shot well according to my OB that was a bad idea. When she walked in at 10 cm she asked me to pull up my legs so I could push well that booster numbed everything and for the next 1-2 hours of pushing the nurse held up one leg and a medical student held up the other. It was definitely a crazy morning but then there he was 8lbs 10.5oz, my beautiful baby boy. In that instant of my baby being placed in my arms the pain, the weight gain, the swollen feet, the numbness, the whole world disappeared...he became my world!

#mom #pregnancy #pregnant #baby #labor #birth #newmom #firsttimemom