Mom Chat with Nicole Feliciano
1. Tell us about yourself. Name, where you are from, what you do, how many kids you have, etc.
My name is Nicole Feliciano. I’m married with two girls, ages 12 and 10. I grew up in Annapolis, Maryland then went to Vanderbilt University in Tennessee. I moved a bit after school and then landed in NYC in 1999. I’ve had a few career incarnations working in fashion, retail and advertising. I started Momtrends in 2007 and have been the CEO of Momtrends ever since. I created my own dream job.
2. What challenges have you come across as a mom? What did you do to overcome this?
There’s never enough time! To battle this, I have to prioritize things. Family and work come first. I fit in everything else around these two. I have learned to say no to things that will pull me away from my big mission to help my family thrive and to help other moms find a place where they feel welcome, encouraged and appreciated. The delete button is my best friend when it comes to managing the 300+ emails I get each day.
3. As a mompreneur what advice can you give other moms to help remind them to be more confident in themselves?
Stop comparing! When you stop looking side to side to see what everyone else is doing, you can focus on your own work. It’ll make you more creative, more confident and ultimately happier. And here’s a practical tip: I unfollow people that don’t give me a positive vibe--both on social media and in real life.
4. Tell us a little bit about your book Mom Boss and of course where we can buy it.
Mom Boss is my first book. It came out in 2016 and the sole purpose of it was to help other moms become business leaders. I believe we have to make our own opportunities and our own luck. This book is meant to be a how-to manual for moms looking to grow their businesses and help them make savvier decisions about making space for work and family. It’s available on Amazon as an e-book and a paperback. Buy It Now
5. How do you make sure you have enough mom time on top of being a CEO and author?
I schedule family time first. Work fits in around family. Now, this has only happened 12 years into running a business. There were years when work was winning. I have consciously slowed our growth to make sure I have been available to my family.
We also travel a ton, I love our how family interacts when we travel. We’re really unplugged and focused on learning, experiencing and exploring.
6. How are you utilizing social media to help your business?
Pictures are a great way to tell the story of our brand. It’s also a great place to get feedback and find out what moms are missing; what they need help with. The key is to have a voice before you take to social media. You can’t just “be” on social media, you need a viewpoint.
7. I believe we all have to look at the positives in ourselves and rid ourselves of the negative, what would be your favorite aspect of yourself and why?
I take criticism well. I am always looking for feedback and trying to move forward, I want to constantly evolve and I think I’m excellent at embracing change.
8. What is your future goal as a mom, author and influencer?
As a mom, I’m here to support my girls as they discover their passions and dreams, I’m also here to raise good humans. A big part of this is to have my girls see me living my best life. When they see me passionate about my work, I am setting a great example. I suppose this is also my goal as an influencer. I want to help moms shut the noise down of what they are supposed to be doing and focus on what’s working. No future books right now...I still feel like my best work right now is in Mom Boss!
9. Spreading love has been my motto lately. What's one way you spread love?
I take time to mentor smaller brands and up-and-coming influencers. I just joined The Wing, a women-only networking club. It’s a great place to treat someone to coffee and sit and dream up ways to collaborate and help.
10. A fun question, if you could be a article of clothing which one would it be and why?
Definitely shoes! But I need two pairs, running shoes so I can run away from all my devices and responsibility and fabulous heels for when I’m ready to stand out and shine!
Keep following Nicole and her mission to help moms by checking out her website at momtrends.com. She definitely is a mom to watch with balancing a business and home life. I really love following her journey on Instagram @momtrends